Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ara: Don't Underestimate Me

ARA MINA IS CLEARLY UPSET.
In spite of the laughs and revelry on the set of GMA 7's "Bubble Gang," the singer-actress can't hide her annoyance.

She can't understand why she's being linked, romantically, with boxer Manny Pacquiao, her leading man in the Metro Manila Film Festival entry "Anak ng Kumander."

When her name was mentioned as possible singer of the Philippine National Anthem for Pacquiao's rematch with Mexico's Marco Antonio Barrerra in Las Vegas on Oct. 6, she was again deluged with intrigues. This one came with snide remarks.

She demands: "Why are people underestimating me? I am no biritera (belter), but "Lupang Hinirang' is not meant to be belted. It was [composed] by Julian Felipe as a march."

She insists that it wasn't her idea in the first place. "The promoters know that I do concerts abroad [and] I was asked to audition."

She thought nothing of trying out, and isn't perturbed now that R&B singer Kyla has gotten the nod. (This was confirmed by Wilson Tieng of Solar Sports.)

"I'm happy for Kyla. She's a good singer--and a friend. I know she'll do well," Ara tells INQUIRER Entertainment.

She is still unsure of watching the Vegas fight. "My friend Rustom [Padilla] is persuading me to join him [after which] we're also planning to go to New York."

Whether she's going to Vegas, she insists, will depend on her work schedule, and will not be affected by the idle chatter concerning Pacman.

"It's stressful," she admits. "It's as if every move I make involves Manny."

She understands why Manny's wife Jinkee got affected by the controversies. "I feel for her and her family. I'd like to meet her, so we can put this behind us."

She was bothered by the rumor that she earned P3 million for "Kumander," she says. "I'm not hung up on talent fee. If I were, I wouldn't be doing independent movies like 'Selda.'"

Just distressing for her was the news that her kissing scene with Manny took nine takes.

"That was exaggerated," she explains. "My love scene with Sid [Lucero] in 'Selda' was more torrid, but it wasn't played up in the media."

She's clearly proud of her work in that movie, directed by Paolo Villaluna and Ellen Ramos. "In one scene, I had to cry for five minutes straight."

Ara is also thinking of producing her own indie digital movie, with sister Cristine Reyes as co-star.

"As producer," quips Big Sis, "I'll make sure she won't get exploited."

Source: PDI by Bayani San Diego Jr.